الجمعة، 31 يناير 2020

New Emirati thriller ‘Nyctophobia’ hits cinemas this month

Author: 
Fri, 2020-01-31 11:11

DUBAI: “Nyctophobia,” a new short psychological thriller from Emirati writer and director Tariq Al-Kazim, will screen in selected cinemas in February. 

The film tells the story of Julia (played by Heba Al-Hamwi), a writer who has rented a secluded farmhouse in Al Ain to focus on her work. But it quickly becomes clear that she is not alone in the house — and all the doors are mysteriously locked.

Actor Robert Cristian Trif plays the man who is ‘sharing’ the space with Julia. In a press release, Trif said, “(I play) a disturbing man who tries to win over the woman, and plays with her mind. But ultimately we discover both our characters meet a cruel ending.” He added that it is his first time “playing in a horror film.”




“Nyctophobia” is Al-Kazim’s 14th film, and the director told Arab News that the idea for this one came from personal experience. (Supplied)

Al-Kazim told Arab News that he has been a fan of horror movies since he was a child. “I used to watch movies like “IT” and “Psycho” and I was curious as to why they scared me. Since then I’ve been developing horror films as a way to create the same feelings I had watching those films.”

“Nyctophobia” (an extreme fear of darkness) is Al-Kazim’s 14th film, and the director told Arab News that the idea for this one came from personal experience. 

“As a child I was scared of the dark and I wanted people to feel the same,” he said. “I had that feeling ever since I can remember. I used to turn on the lamps in the room before going to bed or had my mother leave the door slightly open with the lights beaming in. I overcame the fear slowly as I grew up, acknowledging that whether there was light or not, it didn’t make a difference. 




The movie will screen in selected cinemas in February. (Supplied)

“The first few days were terrifying,” he continued, “but eventually I managed to overcome the fear.”

Al-Hamwi feels the story is “symbolic of … how these fears stand in our way throughout life.”

“When we let those fears overwhelm us, they take over and metaphorically kill us,” she said in the press release. 

Main category: 
https://ift.tt/38Vrj6m January 31, 2020 at 09:34AM

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

يتم التشغيل بواسطة Blogger.